[Edu-sig] RE: "Croquet Project" and Python ?

Arthur ajsiegel at optonline.net
Sat Oct 23 02:27:11 CEST 2004

John writes -

> I think the Disney connection is getting a bit overplayed here...

Well if it is, there is only one person responsible.

But I suspect that Alan Kay may himself not consider it to have been one of
his better decisions.

If I can't use it to place him on the side of the devil, can I at least use
it to question the quality, or consistency, of his judgment.

> Squeak is the latest instance in the convoluted history of Smalltalk's
> dual nature: as educational environment and as a 'professional'
> prgramming environment -- a tension that's been there since the early
> 1970s. Kay has always been unambiguously on the side of the educational
> vision.

I don't believe that we should expect our educational visionaries to be
designing computer interfaces, and vice versa.