[Edu-sig] RE: "Croquet Project" and Python ?

Arthur ajsiegel at optonline.net
Sat Oct 23 12:08:07 CEST 2004

I wrote -

> Laura writes -
>

> > Why not?  It seems clear that most people who create computer
> interfaces,
> > as a profession, are merely copying what other have done before, and
> most
> > of what others have done before has been horrid.  When you see a
> terrific
> > interface, you startle, and think 'oh how wonderful'.  Where do you
> > expect us to get visionary computer interfaces?  I think that educators
> > would be a most likely choice -- anybody who has the notion 'how do
> people
> > learn to do this' is already head and shoulders above the rest of the
> > world
> > who never gives it a moments thought, or concludes 'because it is like
> > what they have seen before' is the last word in computer interface
> design.
>
> My short answer is that the educator is focused on content, not interface.
>
> IMO.

The clearly best "interface" for education is infectious enthusiasm.

Kay does exude that, to people fascinated by computer interface.  And to
that extent he is an effective teacher.

But Big Picture, that is a small realm.  Though if Kay had things more in
perspective, his infectious enthusiasm would evaporate - and he would be a
less effective teacher.

We are all stuck in these kind of contradictions.