[Edu-sig] Computer Languages via Immersion Experiences

ajsiegel at optonline.net ajsiegel at optonline.net
Tue Oct 26 19:29:08 CEST 2004

Kirby -

> > As it happens I don't consider myself to being making a judgment.
> >

> You:
>
>  "Perhaps irrevocably **prejudiced** by Mr. Kay's decision to
> wittingly
>  or unwittingly assist Disney in their effort to become a force
> in
>  education for dollars, I for one feel little affinity with the
>  Squeak community." [italics added]
>
> http://mail.python.org/pipermail/edu-sig/2004-October/003991.html
>
> Dictionary:
>
> prej.u.dice    ( P )  Pronunciation Key  (prj-ds)
> n.
>
>   1.
>         1. An adverse judgment or opinion formed beforehand or
> withoutknowledge or examination of the facts.
>         2. A preconceived preference or idea.
>   2. The act or state of holding unreasonable preconceived
> judgments or
> convictions. See Synonyms at predilection.
>   3. Irrational suspicion or hatred of a particular group, race, or
> religion.
>   4. Detriment or injury caused to a person by the preconceived,
> unfavorable conviction of another or others.
>
> http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=prejudiced&r=67

Caught me in the act of a bit of self-deprecation.

True enough, I got to cut that out.

The turth is I feel a lack of affinity for the Squeak community
because I feel a lack of affinity for the Squeak community. The
fact that their Guru's performances, which I have been interested enough in
to take the time to observe, have consistently disturbed my sensibilities -
is the best explanation I can give.

Though I did make the point clearly in the quote above, that I had considered
the possiblitiy that he was in his own way, a victim of the circumstances himself.  Perhaps, in retrospect, he might not totally disagree.

It is also true that using the word "prejudice" might have left the impression that I considered the possibility that in fact I was holding on to this too long, and that my best reason was being swayed by emotion.

I take it back.

Anybody who doesn't think Kay is a a schmuck, is a schmuck.

Happier?