[Edu-sig] FW: RFS: python-visual - VPython 3D scientific visualization library

John Zelle john.zelle at wartburg.edu
Sun Apr 3 17:44:42 CEST 2005

Arthur wrote:
> Floris Bruynooghe has created a VPython Debian distribution and is in
> process of attempting to have it accepted as "official" Debian package.
>
> Not being familiar with the process I am having trouble following the
> dialogue - "sponsorship" vs. "adoption", etc.
>
> Obviously I would like to see Floris successful.  This would, for example,
> make is possible to see VPython available in the ubuntu "universe" of
> packages. A very good thing, IMO.

I agree. As a dedicated Debian and VPython user, I'd also like to see
this happen.

> Can anyone here help sort this out?

To get a package into Debian, one must either be a Debian developer, or
find a developer willing to "sponsor" the package. In the case of a
sponsor, the sponsor is the one who verifys, signs, and uploads the
package to the Debian distribution, however, the original packager
(Floris in this case) is tagged as the maintainer of the package. There
is something more to sponsorship than uploading packages, however.
Having one's package sponsored is also a way of showing that one is
capable of contributing to Debian, and thus might later be considered as
  a developer. In order to become an actual developer, you need to have
an advocate who is a current developer. The sponsorship practice can be
part of mentoring and eventually advocacy as a pathway to becoming a
full-fledged Debian developer.

If I read the following message correctly, Jonas is volunteering to take
over maintenance of the VPython package, rather than sponsoring it. That
means he would upload it and also be listed as the maintainer, and hence
be responsible for future revision and maintainence of the package. I
don't know what his reasoning is exactly, but he appears not to want any
part of the sponsorship thing.

Does that answer your question?

--John

> Art

John M. Zelle, Ph.D.             Wartburg College
Professor of Computer Science    Waverly, IA
john.zelle at wartburg.edu          (319) 352-8360