[Edu-sig] CP4E

Kirby Urner urnerk at qwest.net
Mon Apr 11 22:17:04 CEST 2005

> There are those who may have been at the right schools, taking the
> opportunity to do the wrong things. Fuller was a drop-out, I think.

Actually, Fuller got "fired" from Harvard as he put it -- expelled.  He'd
romanticized the place to the point that he couldn't stomach the reality (a
family tradition).  The last straw:  he went to New York and took the whole
cast of some play out for drinks.

At least he read his great aunt's stuff:  Margaret Fuller Osoli was big in
the New England Transcendentalist movement [1], and there's literary
evidence to suggest we certify Fuller as the last of same.[2]

He partially redeemed himself at Harvard in the 1960s, holding the Charles
Eliot Norton chair of poetry for a spell.

Here's my bio of the guy, FYI:
http://www.grunch.net/synergetics/bio.html

Kirby

[1] http://www.age-of-the-sage.org/transcendentalism/margaret_fuller.html