[Edu-sig] re: CP4E (states cgi demo)

Kirby Urner urnerk at qwest.net
Tue Apr 12 15:35:01 CEST 2005

> > OK, so a next iteration of where I'm going with my little lesson about
> > databases is here:
> >
> > http://www.4dsolutions.net/ocn/geoquiz.html
> Since I don't suspect I would be able to do it, you might have the 5th
> graders find the bug - as Frankfort is not the capital of Kansas.

That's not what's in the data (sans any fix).  I've got Topeka for Kansas,
Frankfort for Kentucky.

The raw data is available to teachers and students:

I should add a Python script that simply dumps the contents of the states
table as an HTML table.  That'll be my next enhancement.

> I have fond memories of my father quizzing my sisters and I on state
> capitals to pass the time on long car rides - which is perhaps why the
> impersonal technological alternative touches a particular nerve - sadly.
> Art

It doesn't *have* to be impersonal, even if it's cgi & MySQL.  A kid could
code this at home and proudly show her dad.  The dad could play while the
kid watches.

I do agree however, that 5th grade would be a lower age limit coming from a
bell curve standpoint, i.e. most kids exploring this content in any real
depth would be older.

My goal as a curriculum writer is just to make the material available in a
connected, not-dumbed-down form, and leave the rest to natural

In particular, I'm writing stuff I may want to use myself in a teaching
capacity -- at West Precinct, for Saturday Academy, or with the GIS people
for example (having just done 3 hours with GIS people, end of March, is
probably influential here).

I've added a splash of color since the last posting.  I'm feeling like I'm
nearing the end of this particular project (I may tweak the source some --
all those individual print statements could be amalgamated, plus I'd like to
write more comments, with mention template-based solutions).