[Edu-sig] Beyond CP4E

Arthur ajsiegel at optonline.net
Sat Apr 16 23:15:03 CEST 2005

Rodrigo writes -

>  Moreover, the OpenSource/FreeSoftware rescued some moral values semi-
> forgotten
>  by corporations, governments and *perhaps* even the scientific community.

Why can't we look at this more like an operating system? Corporations
haven't forgotten much of anything.  They have consistently and always been
in the "what's mine is mine" business - other corporations looking to make
some of what is the other corporation's theirs.  Competition ensues.  It
works and it doesn't work, together and at once.

No beefs.

The scientific community exists in corporations, in governments, and in
academia.

There is evidence that what has changed is the influence of corporations on
the academic scientific community.  Its about people, institutions and
money.  It does seem to smell a bit.

Opensource in blue suits (IBM reference) cannot be expected to be the same
old opensource. For better and for worse.

But then how much has changed, really?

If my readings are right, Galileo did not invent the telescope. In fact his
real contribution was in commercializing it.  Which made not only him but
other people some serious $.  Which is in large part what gave him the clout
that allowed him to stand up to the religious authorities of the day as long
as he did - his real sin having been overplaying his hand, overestimating
the power and the reach of his connections, and the subtext of all this
being interpretable as a struggle between religious and commercial
interests, with the scientific dispute the context or pretext.

But I don't care what Kirby says, Alan Kay did not invent the printing
press. ;)