[Edu-sig] Postmortem of my OSCON talk

Arthur ajsiegel at optonline.net
Sat Aug 6 15:09:07 CEST 2005

Kirby writes:

"""
As I've said before, I don't think there's any stopping this technology
tsunami that's upon us (putting it that way makes it sound like a
disaster).  What we can do is manage and adapt to change, not stop it
altogether.  I think we're on an evolutionary trajectory that's ultimately
about improving living standards around the world, ending death by
starvation and yadda yadda.  In other words, I'm up beat about this
technology's potential.
"""

I take you as having found the word "tsunami" as appropriate, not meaning
something bringing disaster - but certainly meaning something which is so
powerful as to be unstoppable and beyond control.

If that is true - and I am not disputing that directly - it is true only to
the extent the roll out is in a form that is unthreatening to the interests
of the world-as-it-is and the power-structures-as-they-are. Of course.

Which - from my comfortable seat - is not a disaster.

But - were I hungry - I don't know how I would feel about the touting of
3D/MP3 players with changeable skins, as a step toward my salvation.

Art