[Edu-sig] Postmortem of my OSCON talk

Kirby Urner urnerk at qwest.net
Mon Aug 8 01:09:05 CEST 2005

Art:
> And that you take the proliferation of digital technology as a Sign.

Not just digital technology and not just recent technology.  Looking at the
short curve of humanity to date, I'd say we're a species cut out to use
tools in a big way.  We have big brains, lots of smarts, and not much
strength in hardware, beyond that of an ape (actually I've heard less than
most apes of similar size).

> I, on the other hand, have no fucking idea where the course of events is
> leading us, no sense of having a basis to know, and am scared by people
> who think they know.
>
> Art

Just look in the rear view mirror and ask if technology has been of net
benefit along our shared highway to this point.  If yes, why shouldn't
present trends continue?  If no, what fork in the road would you prefer we'd
have taken?