[Edu-sig] Postmortem of my OSCON talk

Kirby Urner urnerk at qwest.net
Mon Aug 8 20:30:21 CEST 2005

> Kirby Urner wrote:
>
> >And what suggests to you that you're not in the realm of folly, a guy who
> >discounts the past entirely?
> >

> You see a devastated planet, then suggest  I am discounting the past by
> critiquing an agenda whose implimentation is dependant upon a massive
> conversion to Altruism.

I've said nothing about any massive conversion to Altruism.  In my blog I
write:

"""
Old timer do-it-yourselfers may be suspicious of this new do-it-together
work ethic. They worry about communism or some other failure-prone altruism,
per Larry's allusions last night: the People's Republic of Perl slide; his
cast of cartoon spies, at least one of whom (cute chick) was no doubt
Russian (Larry himself identified with the Chinese guy). I think today's
keynotes would prove reassuring to these worry warts: this is unbridled
capitalism at work, in the ancient sense of "using your head" (Latin root)
as a private individual, as free as your peers to collaborate, to partner,
to take risks and reap rewards -- and as willing to make it all work.
"""

> I believe reason, and a reasoned look at the past,  would allow us to do
> better than that.
>
> Art

You contradict yourself.

A second ago, this technology was without precedent and the past was no
guide.  Plus you've claimed to have no clue about where we're going (and
you're scared by people who do).

Now you invoke the past and say we'll need some massive conversion to some
ism to go where I think we're going -- as if you knew something all of a
sudden.

Funny.