[Edu-sig] Design patterns

ajsiegel@optonline.net ajsiegel at optonline.net
Tue Aug 23 20:08:32 CEST 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: Scott David Daniels <Scott.Daniels at acm.org>

>  If I wait until I have actual users, I can get
> real statistics on how the use the API.  We decouple our work this
> way.

But in my look of it, properties are a "solution" to one of a nearly infinite set
of these kinds of possibilites. And in that sense a half-measure. Certainly
many areas will remain where our API and our design are irretrievably
coupled.

All I can try to do is offer the perspective of of a mid-brow developer, who tries.

Again, in the case of the development of PyGeo -  and willing to refactor
until the cows come home  - the solutions to problems seemed to be mostly
a process of discovery.  When I found a better way to do something than I had
before, I knew it was better and I knew why it was better. And Python
as a languagfe and as as disclipline seemed more than cooperative as a partner, and guide in the process.

"Properties" being a rare distraction.