[Edu-sig] Writing books/manuals containing code

Peter Bowyer peter at mapledesign.co.uk
Wed Aug 31 11:53:18 CEST 2005

Hi,

I have just started writing a course manual to introduce students to
programming.  There are going to be lots of code examples, and I was
wondering: is there a way to insert the code into the document from
external files, so I can test all the files and make sure the code
works, even if I edit it?  In Microsoft Word I can embed a file as an
object, but the file's contents does not show in the document.

My example programs are then broken down and I go through it
line-by-line.  Again, is there any way to insert these single lines
of code without copying and pasting from the main block?

I'm using Microsoft Word 2000, which is also making referencing code
hard.  I am open to suggestions of other programs, alhtough I'd
prefer not to have to learn and write Docbook/LaTeX by hand.

Finally, is there a way to syntax highlight python code before
putting it into MS Word?

Thanks,
Peter

--
Maple Design - quality web design and programming
http://www.mapledesign.co.uk