[Edu-sig] Another comment on readibility.

Arthur ajsiegel at optonline.net
Tue Feb 1 04:02:35 CET 2005

For Programming Python 2nd edition Page 107

"""
As we've seen, unlike C there is no "main" function in Python - when we run
a program we simply execute all the code in the top-level file, from top to
bottom.
"""

The compiler is reading exactly as we do.  Writing to accommodate the
compiler, is, as a by-product, writing to accommodate a human reader.
Obvious enough.  But it seems worth saying because its easy to lose sight of
these obvious factors that are probably more at the root of making Python a
comfortable environment/experience than all the listcomps and the like put
together.

And once again decorators are, in my mind, an exception.

Reading down - something is being transformed, before it exists.

Not meaning to imply that exceptions to rules are not sometimes well
justified. Especially when they are well identified as such.  Which I happen
to think decorators are.  No beefs, really. Just observation.