[Edu-sig] python satacad: class 6

Arthur ajsiegel at optonline.net
Sun Feb 20 18:19:26 CET 2005

> Indeed, thanks for the ammo (WMI-style).  Could I bother you to
> decorate that with more bibliographic tags (including page number), so
> I can use it elsewhere as a formal citation?

>Felix Klein
>Elementary Mathematics From An Advanced Standpoint Geometry

>Translated from the Third German Edition, Dover Publications, Copyright
>1939

Oh yeah.

All the quotes are from Klein's introduction - Pages 1 and 2.

The book itself is some 200 dense pages, in 3 parts.

I. The Simplest Geometric Manifolds
II. Geometric Transformations
III. Systematic discussion of Geometry and Its Foundations

The resonance between the material in general, and the mathematics that has
become second nature to anyone doing vector-based computer graphics, is
clear.

The material does go beyond it, into non-euclidian geometries and the Theory
of the Imaginary.

Though I had fairly recently come across something by Frederick Lundh of
Python Imaging Library fame on using Python's native complex type as an
efficient means of accomplishing graphics transformations in 2d. And even
understood what he was talking about - for a change;).