[Edu-sig] Re: Edu-sig Digest, Vol 19, Issue 22

Kirby Urner urnerk at qwest.net
Mon Feb 28 01:12:32 CET 2005

Darren Payne

> of coercing from me. I read Kirby's work with interest
> - however my experience is teenagers just aren't
> interested in math. Rather it is a chore that must be
> endured, a minimum standard society requires us to
> attain.

Yes, there's a lot of truth in that.  And yet we insist they climb a slope
vis-à-vis mathematics, i.e. we step them up a ladder, and send the message
this is mandatory for many technical careers.

So, *given* that, my question is:  OK, so would you rather climb this ladder
with or without Python (and/or other computer languages)?

One approach:  the math teachers are handling math, so we doing computer
stuff are just free to play games and ignore math, because that's what kids
like.

Another approach (mine):  let's compete with the math teachers, and show how
to cover a lot of the same concepts and materials, but in a way that's more
relevant and engaging -- AND we'll have time for games as well.