[Edu-sig] Re: visual programming

Christian Mascher christian.mascher at gmx.de
Mon Feb 28 17:52:16 CET 2005

Hi,

why is it that delphi isn't mentioned very often in this context on this
list? At least in german high-schools delphi is the strongest competitor
with java (and a share of python and other exotica).

I know it is not free, but you can download it for private use from
borland and it certainly is a very sophisticated visual environment plus
a fullblown objectoriented language. It is amazingly easy to use, even
if you don't like pascal (I don't). And the compiler is very quick.

I sure prefer Python, but if I have to choose between Java and
Delphi/Kylix I don't know. The delphi-ide takes away much of the stupid
syntax-teaching-chore - which tends to be a much smaller problem with
Python. With three 3/4-hours a week I actually shouldn't have the time
to teach real programming (the syntax stuff), ideas are more important.
   Thus my interest for tools which get out of the way.

Of course the problem with delphi is: can you interest your students for
the behind-the-scenes-stuff (for instance: how the GUI works), if the
program is already a "finished" GUI right away?

And: when forced to use Delphi, I miss IDLE and the simple print
statement most. For examining algorithms this is simply the best.

Any one else used/teached with Delphi?

Christian