[Edu-sig] satacad python pdx

Kirby Urner urnerk at qwest.net
Thu Jan 6 04:39:19 CET 2005

Got to check out my classroom today.  Looks pretty state of the art.
Ceiling mounted InFocus connected to the instructor station, several rows
student stations, now each loaded with Python, Povray and J.  Internet
connectivity.  Good lighting, heating/cooling, other amenities.

Now the remaining uncertainty is snow, forecast as likely for this Saturday.
I'm hoping it's not serious, as the first day of class is always plenty
chaotic without the added twist of inclement weather.

I'm also scheduled to teach core Python to some GIS company here in PDX on
March 28 (two 1.5 hour sessions).  That's very close to Pycon.  I'd have to
high tail it back.

I think Portland is fortunate in having quite a few snake charmers of high
caliber, such as Kevin Altis, Kevin Turner, Dylan Reinhardt and others.  If
demand for Python trainers grows, we should be able to cover the field by
intelligently coordinating our efforts (e.g. Altis is our GUI guru, and
Dunn, but he's all the way in Vancouver :-D).

Plus at OSCON I learned we even have Michel Pelletier, co-author of The Zope
Book.  I've never seen him at a PORPIG meeting though.  I'd like to learn
more about his concept of interfaces in Python.