[Edu-sig] Re: satacad python pdx

Arthur ajsiegel at optonline.net
Thu Jan 6 21:18:48 CET 2005

> Kirby Urner wrote:
> > Got to check out my classroom today.  Looks pretty state of the art.
> > Ceiling mounted InFocus connected to the instructor station, several
> rows
> > student stations, now each loaded with Python, Povray and J.  Internet
> > connectivity.  Good lighting, heating/cooling, other amenities.
>
> You might want to include VPython -- there is a working beta for 2.4.

And this is the first pre-built distro for Windows of the Boost version of
VPython.

The cvs version of PyGeo only works against this version of VPython, as it
makes use of the ability to inherit from VPython C++ classes in Python.

Not for any particularly good reason, BTW ;) It was there. Unfortunately we
tend to do that kind of thing sometimes.

One of the arguments I see people raising against optional static typing is
that once it is there it will be used for no particularly good reason as
well as for the particularly good ones.

I think I liked Kirby's version of calc.py that *didn't* use decorators more
than I did the one that did, though I understand why he couldn't resist the
temptation to use it.

Using a feature appropriately, and using it wisely are sometimes too
different things.  If its in the language (or API) it is usually assumed
that using appropriately is also using it wisely.

Which puts more pressure on the language, or API designer.

I think it generally understood that Guido is hoping that decorators are
used, not overused.

With all that, Kirby's calc.py decorator version did have the advantage of
providing a simple tutorial example of the use of decorators for those of us
(or maybe its just me) still trying to get our arms around the basic
mechanics of decorators.  But I find I still like reading down a page, not
zigzag.

Have I digressed, again?