[Edu-sig] python satacad: class 2 (rescheduled)

Kirby Urner urnerk at qwest.net
Sun Jan 16 17:55:18 CET 2005

Ice storm in PDX on 2004.1.15 caused us to cancel Saturday Academy classes
across the board.  I was going to (and will, next time) show how Python is
used to support the generation of VRML files using these utilities:
http://packinon.sourceforge.net/

Since this is a Win2000 lab, we're able to use Cortona, a top notch freeware
VRML viewer.  AFAIK, Linuxworld lags, in terms of having state-of-the-art
VRML plugins.  I wish Cortona'd port theirs, even if they kept it closed
source.

Another item on my calendar:  two 1.5 hr Python classes for a GIS company,
Double Tree hotel, Lloyd Center, PDX, March 28.  I'll need to demo some of
the win32all stuff, e.g. using the ADO API to pull a RecordSet from MSFT
Access.  Fortunately, this stuff is all well documented and easy to show.
Mostly, I'll just be going over core Python, using 2.4.x on WinXP (I like to
set up a shell and an importable/reloadable code window side by side, and do
live interactions -- more interesting than PowerPoint IMO).