[Edu-sig] Writing presentation manager for OSCON, in Pygame

Rodrigo Dias Arruda Senra rsenra at acm.org
Tue Jul 19 03:56:06 CEST 2005

 [ John Zelle ]
 | I've just begun working on a very similar
 | project. I'm using PyQT (it's a learning project) rather than PyGame. I
 | agree with the "programming" slides approach, but I've been around and
 | around on the API, and am still not really satisfied. Eventually, I
 | intend my work to be a platform for stereographic (VR) presentations
 | allowing regular text and graphics to be interspersed with stereographic
 | pictures, videos, and application demos.
 |
 | I'd be very interested in seeing your intended API for the slides. I
 | might be able to build on what you're doing. If not, having a common API
 | might still be useful (we could share slides).
 |
 | Any thought about how you might generate handouts of the slides?

 At Europython(Goteborg), my two presentations were created using py2slide,
 an alpha-quality tool I've been coding to generate from reST [1] blocks into
 Eric Meyer's S5 HTML [2] format.

 My motivation was rapid presentation development based on reusing slides to
 better fit a particular audience.

 I also plan to have a Pygame backend, so I look forward to colaborate in
 a slide2pygame tool.

 py2slide presentations looks like the following:

 <code>

  from py2slide.py2slide import BasePresentation, BaseSlide, get_slides
  from py2slide.py2slide import RestSlide as _
  import py2slide.rodskin as myskin

  roadmap = _("""
  This speech talks about
  =======================

  * How **big** is the Brazilian Python Community (BPC) ?
  * How **fast** does it grow ?
  * First Conference **PyConBrasil** held April 2005
  * Who's **Who**
  * What are we doing with Python, Zope and Plone

  """)

  growth = _("""
  How big can it get ?
  ====================

  .. image:: images/sucuri.png

  """)

  base = BasePresentation(
             presenter_name = 'Rod Senra (rsenra at acm.org)',
             presenter_affiliation = 'IC-Unicamp/GPr',
             location_and_date = 'Europython 2005',
             slide_footer = myskin.slide_footer
  )

  base.custom_stylesheet_files.append(myskin.mycss)
  base.title = 'The Python Community in Brazil'
  base.slides = [me, roadmap, growth, mailing, lists,
                portal, portal2, pyconbr1, fisl6, fisl6b,
                conclusion, thanks, eve]
  base.save_html(output_dir='pybr')

 </code>

 [1] http://docutils.sourceforge.net/docs/user/rst/quickstart.html
 [2] http://www.meyerweb.com/eric/tools/s5/

 best regards,
 Rod Senra

--

  Rodrigo Senra       <rsenra |at| acm.org>