[Edu-sig] Writing presentation manager for OSCON, in Pygame

Kirby Urner urnerk at qwest.net
Tue Jul 19 16:39:21 CEST 2005

>  [ Kirby Urner ]
>  | Interesting work Rodrigo.
>
>  Thank you. By the way, I hope you have found your missing coat.
>  (I was the one giving speech right after yours at Goteborg ;o)

Thank you.  I *did* find it, in the upstairs breakfast area, student center,
next morning.  A zippered fleece paired with my windbreaker, but removable,
black, word 'Flex' on it.  Glad to get it back. :-D

>  Therefore, I could mix classic static slides with *cool* live-action
>  slides as long as the target format (in this case: pygame) supports it.

Yes, that's the idea.  I don't well understand Pygame vis-à-vis PyOpenGL so
what all capabilities my slides could have I'm not sure.

I'm going to demo on the Toshiba at Wwwanderers this AM -- that's a group I
belong to, meets at Linus Pauling's boyhood home a few blocks from here (a
move afoot to change name of Hawthorne Blvd. to Linus Pauling Ave. or
something, but that'd be for local merchants to contemplate (it's not a
street I own a biz on, unless you count the Fred Meyer's).

>  I only had few opportunities to put that in practice.
>  # One of them teaching Python to Comp.Science undergraduates.
>  So if you like the idea, and do it, I'm interested in feedback.
>
>  best regards,
>  Rod Senra

Your clustering then mentoring idea is excellent; stratification into
classes, with upper tasked to assist the lower in making a next step -- not
a competitive "keep them down behind me" circus.

As faculty at St. Dom's in JCNJ, I allowed similar "pairing" -- i.e.
"accepted student authorities" (an assortment) in the subject I was teaching
(which was mostly some brand of text book math) were openly consulted by
other students during work times -- the more math-adept became my
para-teachers.