[Edu-sig] A case against GUIs in intro CS :-)

Arthur ajsiegel at optonline.net
Sun Jun 5 15:06:28 CEST 2005

Which is the point that leads me to be
resistance/suspicions/paranoias/concerns in respect to the introduction of
technology into the classroom, more generally.

Kirby's efforts as well as my own do not attempt to entice based on their
technical sophistication.

Raw simple unadorned transparent is what makes sense in a serious effort to
make cognitive connections.  But such an approach - once it is introduced on
a computer - cannot be taken seriously, because it is raw simple transparent
and unadorned, and that's not how we use computers, these days.

HCI studies are generally designed to measure results, comfort levels, etc.
So I don't think they are likely to ever uncover the truths here, where the
results are not the point, and a certain level of discomfort (avoiding
glibness) is for the better.

Art