[Edu-sig] A case against GUIs in intro CS :-)

Arthur ajsiegel at optonline.net
Sat Jun 11 18:06:07 CEST 2005

I don't disagree, really - except that it is near impossible to say anything
that is not an oversimplification.

It is true that I do find that I tend to need more than one perspective on
the same subject in order to flesh it out in a way that gives it dimension.
And generally accomplish it by reading more than one book/tutorial/whatever,
often almost side-by-side, when trying to digest a subject.

I think this is one of the reasons I could not adjust well to traditional
schooling, especially when it came to introductory material for technical
subjects.  We are generally expected follow patiently a single text. I
learned that I need multiple sources to effectively learn.  It is in this
sense that the appearance of the Internet was such a catalyst for new
learning opportunities in my own case.  Multiple sources, on most any
subject, at my fingertips.

And it is maybe because I tend to take that approach, that I tend to
appreciate an author giving his best shot at communicating *a* perspective.
Not many.  I *will* need another perspective, to be sure - but I will get
that from another source, who hopefully is giving it their best shot at
communicating their perspective - which if substantive enough will almost
always be shaded in its own way, and therefore not simply redundant as to my
other source/sources.

I am thinking more about how I tend to study math and geometry than
programming, directly.  But I have this crazy theory that the pursuits
follow similar cognitive paths.