[Edu-sig] Mission accomplished

urnerk@qwest.net urnerk at qwest.net
Tue Jun 28 18:04:45 CEST 2005

OK, my talk is behind me.  I'll give myself a pat on the back for getting
through all 30 slides, plus doing four demos, within the allotted hour,
with time for questions (there was only one question).

I forgot to visit Sloane's On-Line Encyclopedia of Integer Sequences
though.  I was going to enter 1,12,42,92,162 and show how the resulting
page links back to one of mind.  Oh well.

Plus I've lost my fleece (the sweater I wore this morning, and shed in some
room...).

My demos:

1. POV-Ray animation of Maira kicking a soccer ball (generated from a
spreadsheet sent me by a physicist at the University of Nebraska);

2. my rational number type doing a continued fraction ([1,1,1,1,1,1...]);

3. totatives of n generating multiplication and addition tables;

4. the VPython hypertoon.

The audience was pretty small (15? more?), as they tend to be on a sunny
day after two marathon days of talks.  They guy from CERN was there.  A
Swedish student drew up alongside later, to say he really liked what I had
to say.

I severely jet lagged.  I'm sitting in a big conference room waiting for a
keynote address, just barely keeping my eyes open.

The Zope stuff is really big here this year, gets the biggest audiences.

Next year, Europython will be at CERN in Switzerland.