[Edu-sig] Looking for a comprehensive Python and Tkinter documentation (like the Java documentation)

Florian Reichl florian.reichl at gmail.com
Wed Mar 2 18:16:15 CET 2005

On Wed, 2 Mar 2005 11:35:05 -0500, David Handy <david at handysoftware.com> wrote:
> Have you ever run pydoc?

No, I didn't.

> On windows: Programs->Python 2.4->Module Docs

On (Debian) Linux: /usr/lib/python2.3/pydoc.py -g

Wow - I didn't know that something like this exists. If I knew I would
not not have asked about the documentation in "the Java way".

> http://docs.python.org/

Of course I know them but I think they are hard to navigate - at least
I'm not used to reading them.

> As for Tkinter, well, that happens to be the weakest point. Unlike the other
> standard Python packages, it is not fully documented in the "official" docs

But I found a lot of Tkinter information using pydoc.

> I found John Grayson's "Python and Tkinter Programming"
> book most useful; I wouldn't be using Tkinter without it.

I'll have a look at it.
The best introduction for Tkinter for me was
http://www.ferg.org/thinking_in_tkinter/

> I wouldn't complain too much about them not filling up the online docs with
> hundreds of pages of Tkinter material. Most graphical frameworks are complex
> enough to merit a book of some kind; I wouldn't try to learn Swing from the
> online Java API documents!

Of course not - but it helps if you can reference the libs it later.

Thanks a lot - this war really helpful to me!

Best regards,
Florian