[Edu-sig] Python for CS101

André Roberge andre.roberge at gmail.com
Wed May 4 01:59:13 CEST 2005

Of course, I believe that Python is the ideal language for CS101.
Otherwise, I would probably not be so interested in this list ;-)

Here are some arguments that I have not seen (except for the first one)
in the current thread.

1. Python is often described as "executable pseudocode".

2. Python comes with "batteries included".  That is to say, there are
python modules (libraries) to help you do pretty much everything you
might need in all areas: text processing, graphics, etc.

1. + 2.  Python can be used in (almost) all subsequent CS courses in
going from pseudo-code on the blackboard (if still using blackboards) to
python program on a computer (with a projector in class) and working
code demonstrating the algorithm studied.

3. Learning C after learning Python can be done via Pyrex.
http://www.cosc.canterbury.ac.nz/~greg/python/Pyrex/
 From the Web site: "Pyrex is Python with C data types."

4. Learning Java after learning Python can be done via Jython.
http://www.jython.org/
 From the Web site:
"Jython is an implementation of the high-level, dynamic, object-oriented
language Python seamlessly integrated with the Java platform."

5. Learning Perl after Python can ... never mind. ;-)

André