[Edu-sig] FW: [Visualpython-users] High School Network Security

Arthur ajsiegel at optonline.net
Sat May 14 13:35:52 CEST 2005

To ruin everybody's morning:

-----Original Message-----
From: visualpython-users-admin at lists.sourceforge.net
[mailto:visualpython-users-admin at lists.sourceforge.net] On Behalf Of
FRANCESCO NOSCHESE
Sent: Friday, May 13, 2005 9:11 PM
To: visualpython-users at lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: [Visualpython-users] High School Network Security

Hello everyone,

I am a high school physics teacher who is planning post-AP exam student
projects using VPython.  However, my school refuses to allow Python and
VPython to be installed on the school's network because it is open
source.

Here's the reply from the technology coodinator at my school:

"Our technology team discussed your request to install VPython on the
network/lab at our May 4th meeting and all agreed that it is not good
practice to install open source software on the school computer systems.
We have conferred with LHRIC and a random sampling of other districts and
all agree it is not in the district's best interest to do so, even thought
there is no doubt your intended goal is worthy."

[LHRIC is a technology-oriented consortium of local school districts
<http://www.lhric.org>]

Is this really a problem?  What are the risks?  Is there any way to
prevent student misuse of Python?  How can I make a case to allow Python
in school?

FYI, we have a Novell Zenworks network for XP and Win98 machines.  We also
have Citrix in XP.

Many thanks in advance for all your help.

Frank Noschese
Physics Teacher
John Jay High School
Cross River, NY