[Edu-sig] UPDATE: High School Network Security

ajsiegel@optonline.net ajsiegel at optonline.net
Tue May 17 18:07:58 CEST 2005

thom writes -

>I thought these links might be helpful in your case:
>http://www.python.org/Quotes.html Where several key industry rep's
>praise Python. If you get them past loading Python, VPython should be
>easy.

For the record, I am of the opinion that what Frank is running into is
symptomatic of deeper issues about the roll-out of technology in
the school systems.

There is a good degree, IMO, of somnambulism driving the process.

It is definitely a good, progessive thing to do.  That we know.

We're just sure why.

The situation leaves a gaping hole for those with a business
interest in the developments. It is their mission to be convincing
and we are predisposed to be convinced.

There are many circumstances where one can relax with the
knowledge that in the end merit will triumph - even if the road
there is a bit convoluted.

I cannot relax because I don't see this as one of those
circumstances.

I do agree that if there is a fight to be made it has to be
conducted at a higher political level than tangling
with the school system AV department.

I guess I am not yet so cynical as to believe that a political will
cannot be developed to revisit the circumstance of our
school systems - working within the circumstances of
extremely limited resources - *insisting* on paying for
product and services where products and services of
equal or higher quality are available for little or nothing.

But I am reluctant to join forces with the Open Source folks
who would be satisfied with that victory alone.  I would not.
I would press on toward much better answers to the questions
of why, when and where the introduction of technology
is appropriate to enhance the educational experience of
young people.

I personally see a quite narrow set of such circumstances.

I am here because I happen to think VPython is exactly the type
of application that fills that narrow slit.

But I can generalize very little from the fact that I can well understand
how VPython can be used productively.

I happen to believe that  there aren't many VPythons out there. Or
else, not many slits.