[Edu-sig] Lisping

Lloyd Hugh Allen chandrakirti at gmail.com
Thu May 26 16:39:29 CEST 2005

As a math teacher, I always fear that I am teaching my students a
particular piece of technology rather than the concept that I am
trying to teach. As a small example, I am confident that my students
can find the point of intersection between two lines with a TI-83, but
less confident that they can find it with a TI-92 or a Casio-whatever;
and I often fear that they don't recognize that they would get the
same answer by solving each equation for y, setting the y's equal to
each other, and then solving for x.

Geometry packages give an even clearer, more appropriate example. The
two leading commercial products (one of these days I'll take a look at
pyGeo and see what it does) are Gemoter's Sketchpad (GSP) and Cabri.
Most high schools seem to use GSP, where I've heard that several
universities use Cabri. The programs are opposite in orientation; GSP
is more object oriented (click a pair of points, then choose the
command to draw a line through them) where Cabri is more procedural
(at least for the old version, you would say that you are in
line-drawing mode, and then choose two points). I often fear that I am
teaching GSP rather than geometry, and I know that (of those who use
GSP) most of my colleagues within my own building are afraid of Cabri
because they have only used GSP.

It is fine and good to learn a single language, but this is not
computer science. A single language is just a tool. It is necessary to
learn several languages in order to have an idea of what computer
science actually means. Different languages have different
orientations, different tools, and different fundamental assumptions.
I would want my students (indeed, myself) to be able to solve a
problem/write a program satisfying particular criteria in ANY
appropriate language, and also to recognize which languages are
inappropriate for a given task. Prerequisite to this is knowledge and
use of more than one language.

Not a good language? Depends. What's the task?