[Edu-sig] An somewhat stale article about using Java for introductory programming; what can we as Python educators learn from them?

Arthur ajsiegel at optonline.net
Fri May 27 04:32:40 CEST 2005

Danny Yoo wrote:

>Last of all, I took a look at Georgia Tech's CS 1321 web page, just out of
>curiosity, and came with:
>
>    http://www.cc.gatech.edu/classes/AY2005/cs1321_spring/

On the syllabus page linked from your cite:

"Learning to program is like learning a sport."

This is an observation I have made here before - meaning it in a literal
way.  And as an observation, not something I analyze - observing that
for myself the process, and what it stimulates, and what motivates me,
when learning to program seemed somehow familiar.  And it took to me a
while to realize why it seemed familiar. I came to programming late, but
I have always been somethng of a jock .  And maybe I came to programming
late, only because and in substution for some of the satisfaction I have
always gotten from athletics - having reached an age where in most
athletics pursuits my abilities were declining from where they had once
been.

But I clearly missed the process.

And learning to program is like learning a sport.

So I'm back on the field, testing and stretching my abilities - just in
a different way.

Nice that the observation here is being made by  a woman instructor.

But strange that "geek" seems to have the almost opposite connotation -
as someone actively disinterested in athletic activity.  I guess I had
speculated that those who get into programming deeply when young are
those for whatever reason cut-off from physical gymnastics, so tend
toward mental gymnastics.

Or something.