[Edu-sig] Edu-sig Digest, Vol 22, Issue 26

Arthur ajsiegel at optonline.net
Sat May 28 14:14:35 CEST 2005

The fact that CS students might resist Python on the basis of an impression
that it is a "toy scripting language" surprises me not in the least.

Of course that is a mis-impression.

But one that has only been exasperated by an initiatives like CP4E.

Perhaps Python would be better thought of more like Lisp had been - as
something that a CS student *should* know. Because of its depth, but its
ease.

Do I have a right to resent the fact that I have needed to make myself into
a pain-in-the-ass, and face insult, within the Python community in order to
try to re-direct its thinking in approaching the educational community and
positioning Python as a factor within it.

Whether I do or not, I do.