[Edu-sig] question about livewires package. . .

Andy Judkis ajudkis at verizon.net
Sun Nov 20 03:28:39 CET 2005

Hello,

I have a very nuts-and-bolts question for you folks.  I have found that the
Livewires graphics routines behave differently under Python 2.4.1 than they
do under 2.2.3.  Specifically, under the former, in IDLE, if I interactively
run
>>> from livewires import *
>>> begin_graphics()
>>> circle(100,100,50, filled=True)
>>>circle(300,300,70)
>>> end_graphics()
then nothing shows up until I run end_graphics().  The circles then shows up
for moment, just before the graphics window is destroyed.
If I run the same sequence under 2.2.3, the each circle shows up immediately
when the command is executed.  This latter behavior is what I want -- is
there a way to make it work that way under 2.4?

(Why not just use 2.2?  Because I'm also trying to work with RUR-PLE, which
requires wxPython, and the versions of wxPython available on the web site
are for 2.3 and 2.4.  Perhaps it could all work with 2.2, but it would be
nice not to have to experiment with all the permutations.  And I really
don't want to tell the kids "we have to use 2.2 for this but 2.4 for that",
it really doesn't send the right message at this tender stage in their
programming careers. . . better that they learn the bitter truth -after-
they're hooked, eh?)

Thanks,

Andy Judkis
Academy of Allied Health and Science