[Edu-sig] Microsoft's KPL

Arthur ajsiegel at optonline.net
Fri Oct 7 20:53:14 CEST 2005

I don't know, Laura.  You paint a coherent picture. But one considerably
more clinical than anything I can relate to from my own frame of reference.
And in that sense cynical.

In these kinds of discussions I find it difficult and unwise to move outside
my own frame of reference - what I know first hand.  As a historian or
economist I have nothing to contribute.  As an observer - and a decent one,
I think - perhaps I do.

Some good ol' (perhaps unexpected) flag waving:

I am one generation away from "your not wanted here", nothing but the shirts
on our backs, arrival here through Ellis Island.

>From there it's been right out the civic books, the ones we are supposed to
be too sophisticated and cynical to take seriously.  Opportunity. Reward for
hard work. Recognition for merit. No limits. None. My older sister has fun
from time to time introducing me to people you read about in history books,
or will. She might be one herself.

And in the middle of this - and essential to it - has been free public
education, with enough high-minded people contributing enough high-minded
effort to move my friends and family along in no particularly direction
beyond that which we have had the opportunity to chart for ourselves.

*That* is why I get emotional at threats to it - perceived or real.

Art

Thus the sort