[Edu-sig] Low Enrollments

Arthur ajsiegel at optonline.net
Thu Oct 13 10:08:36 CEST 2005

I think this is an interesting datapoint.

Kids grow up in the US, just slower.

Among the reasons, I think, that things like Law attract so many brighter
students is that no commitment to it is required before graduate school.
One can be a sort of dissolute undergraduate dabbling in any of the softer,
less demanding Liberal Arts, knowing that one is not ready to commit to any
difficult and demanding course of study - and then "hit a books" in a
serious way first as a graduate student. Business School is another example.

There is nothing equivalent in the sciences.  The structure is such that one
can only go down that road if one makes the decision to do so early - as a
practical matter before many students are ready to make such a
commitment/decision. Even if, given time, that is the decision they might be
likely to make.

Because by the time they might, they are prerequisited out of the game.

Science programs, including computer science programs, that kicked in later
in a student's career might help as a work-around.