[Edu-sig] Low Enrollments.

Dethe Elza delza at livingcode.org
Mon Oct 17 23:16:11 CEST 2005

On 17-Oct-05, at 12:45 PM, Kirby Urner wrote:
> In microcosm, I suppose I'm not that different from Microsoft (I'm
> just a
> lot smaller).  I want to survive in a business that interests me.
> So that
> brings me to a philosophical question:  what's wrong with that?

There is a difference across such differences in scale.  Microsoft is
a convicted, but unpunished and unrepentant, monopolist with goals
which go beyond simply making money (i.e., extending their monopoly
further to make more money in the future, as well as ideological
goals of having a Microsoft computer on every desk).

> I don't see my goal as in principle unethical.  It's what teachers
> have
> always wanted:  to teach, to have brilliant students who make a
> difference
> in the world, and to receive food and shelter while doing some
> honest work.

It is not unethical to earn an honest living from honest work.  Many
of Microsoft's business practices *are* unethical, and sometimes
illegal (i.e., a former Microsoft accountant was fired when he
revealed some of their shady bookkeeping).

I don't view that as Microsoft-bashing, just old news.  On the other
hand, I have no interest in using Microsoft products or building on
their platforms as I would personally feel like I was enhancing their
monopoly and abetting known criminals.  And yet, that's exactly what
I do at my day job.

Apple has also been less than ethical at times, certainly they have
been known to prey on their own developers, but they don't operate
from a position of monopoly, they contribute back to the open-source
community, and they genuinely innovate, so while I think Jobs is kind
of a jerk and wouldn't want to hang out with him (no risk there!), I
don't mind building on their platform.

IBM went through its own monopoly trial and was found not guilty, but
they changed their business practices anyway.  They also innovate and
give back to the open source community.  I don't have a problem with
writing for them or getting paid to do it.  Maybe I should, because
of the part they played in the Holocaust, but it's hard for me to
make the connection between today's management and business practices
and those of 60 years ago.

Everyone has a different place where they draw the line between
ethics and making a living.  I don't like where Microsoft draws
theirs, although there are certainly worse corporations in the
world.  But I don't refuse to drive a Ford because Henry Ford was a
flaming anti-Semite (I refuse to drive a Ford because they make crap
cars).

Hmmm, starting to ramble.  I think there was a point in there, I hope
you can find it.

--Dethe

"All spiritual paths have four steps: show up, pay attention, tell the
truth, and don't be attached to the results."  Angeles Arien