[Edu-sig] Python as a first language for computer sciencist

Kirby Urner urnerk at qwest.net
Thu Oct 20 21:19:04 CEST 2005

> Someone loses.
>
> Art

It's possible to have good programming tools which ignore case.

FoxPro ignores case, http ignores case (e.g. wWW.PYthon.ORg works fine).

Note that "case insensitive" doesn't mean the *human reader* has to ignore
case, e.g. I might use all caps for a constant, even though the engine I'm
using doesn't give a rip.

Another example:  the Windows file systems: FAT32 or NTFS.  \MyDocuments and
\mydocuments are the same location, but users still get to choose a
preferred style (a style unenforced by the OS).

Python had the choice to be case insensitive and in some parallel universe
maybe it is.  It wouldn't have been a lesser language, just a slightly
different one.