[Edu-sig] Python as Application

Arthur ajsiegel at optonline.net
Thu Oct 27 16:24:31 CEST 2005

Grégoire Dooms wrote:

>I found many things similar to Python stuff in there and I think both
>languages could benefit from each other.
>Best,
>--
>Grégoire Dooms

I actually have looked at it top-level fairly recently.

But the little time I have to explore new things is being spent
exploring old things - Lisp.  Reading -slowly - Paul Graham's classic

On Lisp

http://www.paulgraham.com/onlisp.html

Not very far into it but have been influenced already by the "bottom-up"
approach which he talks about as Lisp's strength - the concept of
building layers of a domain specific "programming language" appropriate
to an application.  Wasn't really conscious of it, but that is I think
how I got to the concept of the mutable complex number - if that's what
I think my program needs (I am not convinced yet it does, but what the
heck, let's look at it), build the mutable complex number.

Love this stuff.