[Edu-sig] quantum instance

Tue Sep 13 01:57:41 CEST 2005

ajsiegel at optonline.net wrote:
> I think teaching programming outside a context - as an abstract
> discipline - is unavoidably problematic in this regard.
I would have more sympathy if you would subscribe to the same philosophy
for "geometry" and "mathematics."  As someone who has concentrated on
computer science and "The Art of Computer Programming" for a huge number
of years, I am offended at the denigration of my field of study (or at
least what I perceive to be a denigration).

> I am not convinced "programming" as a stand-alone subject cannot be optimum as an approach.
Why is this different from saying, "I am not convinced 'mathematics' as
a stand-alone subject cannot be optimum as an approach?"  "Only in the
context of physics or engineering or ...."

Please distinguish from the teaching of the computer science and/or
programming that _you_ want to learn from that that _anyone_ might
want to learn.

> And why I am committed to annoy everyone until
> everyone sees everything my way.
Well, you certainly accomplished the "annoy" part today.  Perhaps I
am just in a cranky mood.

--Scott David Daniels
Scott.Daniels at Acm.Org