[Edu-sig] quantum instance

Kirby Urner urnerk at qwest.net
Thu Sep 15 05:23:07 CEST 2005

Art:
> I would probably myself opt for the convenience of property, maybe going
> the whole nine yards and using the further convenience of its decorator
> form.

Footnote:

Although I think Scott did an admirable job of showing how the property
function could be served with the new decorator syntax, I don't think the
trade off in convenience is necessarily worth the convoluted helper
functions that make this short-cut doable.

That being said, I'm quite pleased that Scott spelled it out, and I have in
fact used his invention (in subsequent code).

In yet more recent code (satacad.py with Vector, Edge and Polyhedron
classes), I'm back to straight attr = property(args) syntax, and quite
satisfied with it.  I feel no strong temptation to use decorators in this
context.

In sum, I wouldn't necessarily go "the whole nine yards" as you've put it.