[Edu-sig] quantum instance

Laura Creighton lac at strakt.com
Mon Sep 19 15:44:05 CEST 2005

In a message of Mon, 19 Sep 2005 12:21:28 +0200, Laura Creighton wrote:
<probably too much>

I just want to mention that I like properties.  I think they make the
code easier to read.  I've read too much code where people who
wanted the behaviour of properties got out __getattr__ and did
it wrong.  Or decided that some hideous thing using metaclasses
was the way to go.  Or that using __slots__ to restrict access
was a fine idea.  So I think that code readability has improved.

My problem with properties is some of the people who use them.  There
is a class of people who go around compulsively adding restrictions,
wherever they go, whenver they cannot think of a reason not to.  It
makes them feel 'safer' or 'more professional' or something.
Unfortunately, this desire to over-control everything frequently
shows up in people who have no more imagination than a turnip.  This
is a bad combination.

Laura