[Edu-sig] Rapunsel, Rapunsel

ajsiegel at optonline.net ajsiegel at optonline.net
Wed Apr 5 18:25:42 CEST 2006

----- Original Message -----
From: Peter Chase <pchase at sulross.edu>
Date: Wednesday, April 5, 2006 11:15 am
Subject: Re: [Edu-sig] Rapunsel, Rapunsel

> Arthur wrote:
>

> >... when you say geometry and I say geometry I think we
> >are talking about largely different things.  Fuller has not
> influenced  me,
> >and Klein has not influenced you.
> >

> How about Euclid?  Has he influenced either one of you?
> How about Euclid?  Has he influenced either one of you?

My study of geometry as an adult began with  The Elements, and by *doing* its constructions
with ruler and compass, on paper.

I don't in fact see any computer aided approach an adequate substitute for that.

Reading Euclid in English translation is about as far as I wanted to compromise.

I'm a practical man ;)