[Edu-sig] The end is near :)

Brad Miller bmiller at luther.edu
Tue Apr 11 17:08:48 CEST 2006

On Apr 11, 2006, at 7:50 AM, kirby urner wrote:

>> In the meantime, if anyone wants to read and comment on a 35 page
>> document on the rationale behind teaching introductory programming
>> using Python, I have one :)

Please count me in.

> Is it better than Zelle's?  I think the pro Python case has been
> cogently stated in more than a few places.  But everyone still thinks
> CS is really all about Java.  What *shall* we do?

I'm not sure *everyone* still thinks CS is really about Java.
At SIGCSE we had 100+ people at the special session on teaching with
Python.  Plus there were sessions and other talks about getting back
to basics in CS education.

David Ranum and I just did a workshop called "Exploring Python as a
Teaching and Learning Language" at the Central Plains CCSC conference
last week and had 35+ in attendance.

In talking with publishers and educators at the conferences there is
a pretty consistent message that Python is picking up steam.

Brad