[Edu-sig] Shuttleworth Summit

Paul D. Fernhout pdfernhout at kurtz-fernhout.com
Fri Apr 21 01:23:40 CEST 2006

I've long been interested in making Python development more Squeak
Smalltalk like. See for example a recent post of mine to the Jython user
mailing list with some code (would be also useful for CPython with a few
changes):
   [jython-users] ReloaderWindow 0.2 (improvements to selective reloading)
   http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/message.php?msg_id=14482359

On the topic of an integrated 2D/3D crossplatform solution for Python
(like Squeak has), I'd like to point to my related comments on this list
from six (!) years back:

[Edu-sig] Common Graphical Framework for Python Tutorials?
   Fri, 04 Feb 2000 11:16:39 -0500
   http://mail.python.org/pipermail/edu-sig/2000-February/000032.html

[Edu-sig] a modest proposal II
   Fri, 04 Feb 2000 18:03:01 -0500
   http://mail.python.org/pipermail/edu-sig/2000-February/000063.html

[Edu-sig] IDLE/TK limitations for learning environments
   Fri, 04 Feb 2000 18:32:54 -0500
   http://mail.python.org/pipermail/edu-sig/2000-February/000065.html

[Edu-sig] Not well supported on the Mac?
   Sun, 28 May 2000 15:24:21 -0400
   http://mail.python.org/pipermail/edu-sig/2000-May/000495.html

Glad to see some interest in such ideas is perking up here. :-)

It's all quite doable with enough effort. Though I'd watch out for Squeak
licensing and some Squeak unfinished complexity management issues. I think
it might be better to just use the Squeak base cross-platform ideas or
base code (or perhaps base a new work on wxWidgets) and build a larger
common framework using Python technology and the Python license (and yet
also of interest to Squeakers, like by adding in support for a Smalltalk
parser).

Alternatively, one could build on top of Jython -- see my post on this
list from last year on this topic:

[Edu-sig] On Jython for education
   Wed Oct 19 15:26:02 CEST 2005
   http://mail.python.org/pipermail/edu-sig/2005-October/005410.html

I think the Jython-based approach might be easiest, though one then has to
wrestle with other Java community and licensing issues. [I personally
think the Squeak approach would be more stable and maintainable though,
just 2000 lines of core C to port per platform, with widgets built on
that, and a dynamic loading facility for other native code.] A
cross-platform system supporting both Python and Smalltalk (and perhaps
Java) on a JVM with a complete Smalltalk-like development environment
(including cross-image debugging and development) and with 3D plus some
sort of PythonCard/HyperCard framework out of the box, which had the
option of running as a browser plugin, would be really neat. Probably at
least few person months (for me :-) to get that going to the point where
it reached a critical mass and was something people wanted to use or build
on top of though. I've worked on bits and pieces of all these ideas in a
variety of contexts, but never had a chance to put them all together.

--Paul Fernhout