[Edu-sig] Shuttleworth Summit

kirby urner kirby.urner at gmail.com
Sat Apr 22 03:58:49 CEST 2006

I've read some Gatto and know about unschooling.  But how does that
tie in to your advocacy for Jython, for example?  And what does this
sentence even mean:  "Mark sets out to do good; my worry is how many
Bucky Fullers the curriculum he plans is about to grind to ruin."

I can't understand your logic yet.  The commitment is to bottom-up
curriculum development, not one guy (not me, not anyone) imposing some
top-down compulsory "must learn" thing, except insofar as we tie to
the pre-existing national curriculum for South Africa.

The lesson plans will specify what software is needed.  If that
software actually exists, so much the better.  And the students
themselves are authors of some of these lesson plans.  It's a
community effort.  A lot of these TuxLabs double as businesses after
hours, with some of the same talent overlapping i.e. the dual-use
nature of the lab makes for a convenient apprenticeship and transition
to paying work for older, more skilled kids.

Kirby