[Edu-sig] Shuttleworth Summit

kirby urner kirby.urner at gmail.com
Sat Apr 22 17:12:15 CEST 2006

> Here's a challenge to anyone interested:
> rather than debating what's the "best way" to teach, how about coming out
> with an actual "lesson/learning exercise" or a small computer
> program that could be used today by an *average* teacher in S.A.,
> who may not be as computer litterate as people on this list are.
>
> André

I'd like to amend that:

Picture a tuxLab in the hinterland, maybe near Bloem (Orange Free
State).  Stack of DVDs in the corner.  Player.  Teachers make sure
stuff doesn't walk away, like police (they know the police).  The
police are good in this picture (a simplification).  GNOME.  As time
goes on:  Mono.  Strategy:  those who know (whatever age) teach those
who don't (any age), except it's not a one way street because there's
always more of them than there are of you (i.e. you'll be getting
taught, as much as you also teach).

This is the realistic beginning.  The tuxLabs already exist.  The free
Ubuntu and Edubuntu are legally downloadable, burnable, copiable.
We'll feed the distros from back office locations, work with NGOs on
getting those DVDs spread around (by jeep, whatever).  Teachers will
be empowered to float lesson plans in the repository, and talent will
get noticed (by other teachers -- same as always in other words:  peer
review).