[Edu-sig] DocTest Quiz

Michael Tobis mtobis at gmail.com
Mon Apr 24 05:02:15 CEST 2006

Andre, I agree with your summary, and I don't think you went wrong in any way.

I am simply saying that the first approach is much easier than the
second and raises far fewer issues, probably with the proviso that the
tests themselves must be trusted.

The design I am proposing is responsive to a conversation I had with
Jeff at PyCon, and to the "goal" that is described on this page

http://dc.ubuntu-us.org/projects/doctest-quiz.php

but is admittedly not responsive to the "requirements" on the page.
What I'm raising here is the possibility that the "goal" does not
imply the "requirements".

Because Jeff's users are high school students involved in a year-long
exploration of Python, I presumed that they are developing code on the
client, not the server. Therefore Python is installed and therefore a
specialized client could also be installed.

Perhaps I misunderstood, though.

Jeff, could please clarify the nature of the use cases that you
envision in the near term? Do you have some case where running the
tests on the client would not work?

mt