[Edu-sig] Bootable Python CDs?

Paul D. Fernhout pdfernhout at kurtz-fernhout.com
Thu Apr 27 01:05:20 CEST 2006

I previously wrote:
> Then you would have a custom Python which would be useful for wandering
> faculty (assuming the admins let you reboot the machine, and it was
> configured to allowing booting from removable media).

I just noticed this:
    http://wiki.python.org/moin/PythonCd
"Welcome to your Python CD! This is a bootable CD based on [Debian
GNU/Linux and KNOPPIX. The special thing about it is that it has lots of
Python stuff!"

Anyone used it?

I'm curious: is it even practical to expect to walk into most modern
educational computer lab in a typical school and expect to be able to
reboot all the computers to run from your own Python CD? Do people's
school computer labs typically allow a boot from removable media?

I know it was quite possible to boot your own stuff when I ran an
educational computer lab (or rather, impossible to stop. with those
motherboards) but that was a long time ago (back in the days of 5-1/4 and
Token Ring). I don't know what typical admin policies would be now. But
todays' motherboards seem much more likely to have an option for picking
the boot medium on reboot (but also more options to disable media booting
which you would need to get into the BIOS settings to change).

--Paul Fernhout