[Edu-sig] Tips for wandering faculty

kirby urner kirby.urner at gmail.com
Thu Apr 27 06:49:41 CEST 2006

> On the other hand, let me remind everyone that many people despair of
> this list because it spends too much time on impractical generalities.

You may so remind, but I will remind everyone too that this is also a
celebrated list, the subject of a PhD thesis, with a long and
venerable history, including many memorable performances by Tim Peters
himself.  I can't think of many lists that have been more productive.

> So I would add that we shouldn't mistake interesting conversations for
> progress. Many of the topics raised here are hard and deep but, at
> least for present purposes, still not very useful.

To whom?  Do you really get to pass judgment at such a high level?  I
don't even remember your being here very long.

> Let's try to say less and say it better.
>
> mt

Let's try to be less obnoxiously sanctimonious.