[Edu-sig] Tips for wandering faculty

kirby urner kirby.urner at gmail.com
Thu Apr 27 15:43:20 CEST 2006

> From the perspective of someone who recently joined, I don't remember
> you being here very long either, and I hope this isn't a list where
> the worth of a post is based primarily on how long the poster has been
> in the club.
>
> Stuart.

There's an open archive and anyone can read back.  I don't insist
anyone do that, but when I join a list (which I do often enough), I do
try to develop a sense of where it's been and how it works.

This has been a useful and productive list.  For newbies to sign on
and characterize it as a disappointment is OK, will happen, but I'm
not about to rush in and agree with them.  I also find such an
attitude arrogant, like when "experts" come to help a developing
country without taking the time to learn anything about it first.

There's like a 300 page PhD thesis using this list as raw material,
also fascinating, a PDF linked from the edu-sig home page.  I hope
everyone here has at least looked at the edu-sig home page.  Just
seems a basic courtesy to do some homework before sounding off and
acting foolish, the way Tobis does.