[Edu-sig] PC terminology to end processes? (was Re: Tips ...)

kirby urner kirby.urner at gmail.com
Thu Apr 27 16:08:18 CEST 2006

> > I'm disgusted that "kill" isn't politically correct enough.  We're
> > engineers, not politicians.
>
> I like kill too.  It's like the difference between "self" and "this";
> self is the personification and anthropomorphic form, and this is the
> object form.  I like self more.  I like metaphors.  And putting science
> fiction and theatric effect aside, I can't imagine any future where
> killing processes is at all related to killing people, so I don't think
> it can be taken too seriously.

Good.  Strong colorful language is often what saves the imagination in
these brutally lexical environments we still work in some days.
Exposing an organically growing shop talk to all these political
winds, teaching kids to suppress themselves to appear "nicer" in the
eyes of fascist word police, is damaging.  I'm surprised
Paul-the-unschooler would take such a top down approach, but I assume
he was being tongue in cheek.  Just too ridiculous.